What should I pack for a 5 day elk hunt?
Pack size and weight
Most likely, you will want a pack with at least 4000 cubic inches for a 5 day stay. It should ideally weigh in somewhere between 4-7 pounds empty. I personally use the Sitka Bivy 45. I could shave a little weight on my camp gear, but it would be expensive to upgrade and what I have works for me.
What do I need for my first elk hunt?
An elk hunt requires gear – boots, raingear, cold weather layers, backpacks, binoculars and more. Each of these things can be the difference between a successful, enjoyable hunt and miserable, painful one. Don’t skimp on gear. These off-season preparations are just a few tips to help you prepare for your next elk hunt.
How heavy should my hunting pack be?
Start with around 40 pounds. The best choice for this weight would be actual hunting and camping gear, an otherwise empty pack with a 40 lb dumbbell won’t sit the same as a full pack, giving you a false fit.
What do you wear to hunt elk in Colorado?
When selecting clothing for your hunt, we recommend high-tech, synthetic fabrics or merino wool. Nothing is heavier or more uncomfortable than a wet pair of jeans, and cotton quickly loses its thermal properties when wet. For base layers and insulating layers, synthetics like Capeline or polypropylene are ideal.
What do I need to hunt elk in Colorado?
Elk Hunters Checklist for your Day Pack
- Hunter safety card.
- Waterproof matches.
- Toilet paper or scent free wipes.
- 20′ of rope or strong nylon twine (useful for tying a leg or two to a tree during field dressing)
What should I carry bow hunting?
What Should Be In Your Bowhunting Backpack?
- Hunting license. You might need to take a bowhunter education course before you can purchase a license. …
- Layers of clothing. …
- Binoculars. …
- Rangefinder. …
- Spare Release. …
- Water and Snacks. …
- Field Dressing Kit. …
How much meat do you get from an elk?
Most average bull elk will yield 190 to 225 pounds of boneless meat, while an average cow produces about 160 pounds of meat.
How do you load a hunting pack?
Day Pack Organization
- Begin with the things you need after the hunt or at night. …
- Continue with backup and weather-related gear, such as spare gloves, rain gear, extra jacket, etc. …
- Pack at the top all gear connected to the hunt. …
- Put the food in Ziploc bags and at the top of the backpack.